Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

As Little Children

So long ago. So long ago. And yet, looking into these enormous brown eyes I remember as though it is but yesterday. The sweet ‘bama sun, and the June breezes on my face, and the cool grasses thick beneath my feet like God’s carpeting. Yes, I remember it all too well; all I need do is close my eyes, and drift a moment or two, and I am there …

* * *

Late twentieth-century Earth. A tiny place, but one full of troubles: crime, disease, poverty, hatred, riots, Los Angeles, Saddam Hussein, the Middle East, oil, fire, the Greenhouse Effect, ozone depletion, AIDS, nuclear weapon, over population …

My biological family was poor, even by the standards of the time, trashy poor some would say though we never knew it, never though that way, were in fact proud of what we had and did. Pa worked in the ball bearing factory all day, ma did housecleaning and other odd jobs when she could find them. There was almost always enough to eat, a roof over our heads, and a church. Especially a church.

I can still see that church clearly: a vast crumbling eggshell of a structure, high up on a hill, gazing down on us like a portrait, watching you wherever you went. Every Sunday the folds packed us up, and one by one we walked the dusty road up the hill and filed into the great eggshell where we sat. A sea of noisy black faces on silent white pews, all listening to the Reverent Stetson telling us about God and Jesus and the hereafter and the faith of little children.

Faith was the central element in our lives, the fulcrum about which those lives turned. I know that it difficult to believe, or even to imagine now, but it is true. Faith was our air and water and food; it burned the hearth, and sent smoky tendrils up into the cosmos. It vibrated in the walls of our beings. Pa came home every evening coated with it, a grime that no amount of soap and water could ever quite wash off. Ma beat an upbringing into us with it.

Sitting on his lap, looking up into those moist old eyes. I was five or six, maybe younger, small for my age but nanorzor sharp even then. He knew it from the expression in those eyes, the way he saw opportunity and danger in the words that had just come from my mouth – I knew I had asked the forbidden question.

You must find Jesus in your heart,” he answered it; “you must open your heart to Him, and then He will fill you with His love. That is the only way you can know Him; the only way to heaven. There is no other way.”

* * *

I’ve cheated you, the accusation screams through my head, like a cry of damnation. But the brown eyes are still on me, still innocent, trusting, still moist with expression. Mine are filled with tears.

I was the youngest of seven, or eight – or was it nine? That I don’t clearly remember anymore. Also the brightest. Maybe it was my brother and sisters beating on me too. Whatever, I got a full scholarship, got packed off to the university. Hugs and kisses from everybody, including the Reverend Stetson himself, now a doddering old man. Myself, I was seventeen.

Could I really have been seventeen once? It’s a misty dream to me now; no, a nightmare in a swirling fog: urban warfare, deindustrialization, MacPherson, Green Revolution, animal rights, resistant tuberculosis and smallpox, desertification, global cooling, mass extinctions, Moscow, South Africa, Kotube …

And yet in the midst of all this now inconceivable carnage, flowers did bloom, just as they bloom, in the desert. Remember cancer from your history plugins? This was when it was at last licked for good. And a host of other genetic slow deaths. Other important developments to recall: the first permanent space station; a return to the moon; the commercialization of fusion power; the first truly practical human-computer interfaces. Of course its seems like hell now, yes it was hell by any decent standards, but a few rungs of the ladder were climbed. More importantly, we climbed them.

My major was engineering, with minors in astronomy and bionics, not a common combination even then but I’d always had my own ideas. I’d grown up in an isolated backwater of a world, and when I realized there was more I wanted it. Joined the National Space Society, the L-5 Society, you name it I joined it. I became determined – no, obsessed – for a life on the High Frontier. Ma didn’t understand, of course; she though it was my duty to spend my life improving the lot those “down here, where all th’ needin’ ‘n’ suff’rin’ is; why, there’s nothin’ ‘n’ no one up there to help.” Reverend Stetson just shook his head indecisively, and said he’d pray for me.

Pa wasn’t there anymore. The bearing factory had shut down a year ago, replaced by robots in Korea or Mexico, or some place like that, and the government had sent him to a school in another state, to learn computer programming on twenty-year old machines nobody used anymore. I never saw him again. I assumed was at last with God.

I was on the first International Mars expedition in 2036, just before the big breakthroughs in age control occurred. We stood on the ocher sands of Mars and looked into the twilight, and felt a billion years and an entire cosmos leech into our bones. Earth was a tiny, still in many ways tragic, sapphire in the darkening sky, its moon a tinier and fainter diamond beside it. There are moments in each life that remain fresh with you forever; that was one of mind (as, of course, will be the one now). The expedition had cost almost a trillion dollars, about five percent of the world’s gross economic product, but any fool could see that it had been worth it; at that moment ten billion faces were gazing up at hope instead of down on their troubles. It was a moment that set the pace of humanity for centuries to come. I wouldn’t have traded it for all the gods in all the scriptures in history.

I stroke the furry face before me, and curse myself for having thought that though. I’m sorry.

* * *

We could have stayed in orbit. We could have contented ourselves looking down with our telescopes and probes and sniffers. We would have learned just as much, and they would never have known.

But we couldn’t do that. No, we had to be gods. Of course, we don’t tell ourselves that; we persuade ourselves instead that are doing them a great favor, in showing them what is possible. That they will take hope from our example, that same hope those ten billion too so long ago. But deep inside, we all know it is a fraud. We know they wouldn’t see it that way. And that that is the real reason we came down – to be worshipped. God damn us all to hell.

I returned from the Mars expedition to learn that Reverend Stetson had passed on to this reward. A heart attack in the middle of delivering his Sunday sermon. He was one hundred and two years old.

Ma had just reached her seventieth year herself. I comforted her – I tried to comfort her – by talking about the future, about the developments going on in the biogenics laboratories. “In another decade they’ll be able to reverse the aging process completely. You’ll have eternal life – and eternal youth.” But ma was horrified at such a prospect: “All mah life I been getting’ ready t’meet the Lord, ’n’ now you want t’take it away from me? What’s matter with you, boy?”

I tried arguing, until I realized it was hopeless, that this person had spent her entire life preparing to face her Maker, and the to steal that moment was to steal the life, too. It was a theft I’d no right to make. That night I cried like a child, cried myself to sleep for the first time in as long as I could remember.

That was the last time I even went home, at least physically. Talents like mine were needed elsewhere that on a miniscule planet, especially one so long on problems and short on hope. I spent the next half century expanding and developing humanity’s first empire: L-5, Mare Imbrium, Cydonia, the Belt, Ganymede, the Rings of Saturn, Titan … I was a planner, a builder, a solver, a trouble shooter (and sometimes maker), an explorer and a rogue. And I was successful everywhere, at all of these things. Successful and happy. I even became famous, so much so that you know what happened next: I forgot where I’d come from. I forgot everything.

It was glorious and exhilarating and an awful fat lot of fun, but of course it didn’t last forever. For at the periphery of every frontier there is to be found, invariably, yet another frontier, and the spirit inevitably yearns for that too. Ye – the stars! Even the closest was ten thousand times farther away that the farthest distance I had yet travelled. It was a journey I could not comprehend. Even immortality seemed too short a time cross such gulfs. Yet cross them I would, of that I had no doubt; I just did not know how yet.

* * *

The moment they came bounding out of their huts toward us we knew we had make a tragic mistake. We’re the answer to their prayers; the realization, at once undeniable and irrevocable, flashed through all our minds. We didn’t even have to look at each other to know that all had picked up of the thought simultaneously.

Perhaps if we had been expecting intelligent life … but that had been the furthest thing from our expectations when we’d entered their system. After all, didn’t the experiments of Barkley and Beigh prove once and for all that life – even at the simplest level – was so improbable that it would occur in more that one in a million galaxies? And didn’t the Fermi Paradox (if intelligence were common in the universe, it would have come to us long ago) confirm our solitude? Where, and how, had we so badly miscalculated? Or was it just our misfortune?

Our misfortune?!

To the α Centauri system and back was a little over seventy years that first time. When we got home, we discovered that Earth had finally solved her population problems, and thus her resources problems, once and for all time. For by then space for sentient minds in the WorldNet was essentially infinite, and people who still wanted families could raise virtual ones to their hearts’ content.

Many did, as well as live other lives fulfilling to them, but for us it was an empty life, devoid of – of – to tell the truth, we could not have told you what it was devoid of. All we knew was that if humanity had solved all the problems, has conquered all the dangers of living in the Sol system, that system was not the place for us anymore.

We need faster starships. We needed to press as close to the light barrier as possible. No, not really; with our essentially infinite live, and youths, it shouldn’t matter how long took us to fill the universe. But matter id did, terribly. For were still human though our bodies no longer were, all too human, with minds sculpted by natural selection to think in terms of years, or decades at most. We were far too impatient in the pursuit of what gave us joy. So we labored toward our dreams.

And succeeded.

A thousand years later. It will seems like eternity to us, when we think it out loud. Yet it is but an eye blink: Homo sapiens (to the extent we can still be called that) is but one half of one percent older; the Atlantic Ocean another part in a hundred thousand, our Sun has completed one four-hundred thousandth of its orbit about our Galaxy. We have touched some ten thousand systems, yet a hundred times that many lie within our reach, and a trillion times that sum lay beyond. It is only arrogance that makes us feel old and wise.

* * *

We should have known better. The moment we saw the tiny sapphire, and the tinier diamond beside it, we should have sopped, pulled back, and reached into our stores of accumulated wisdom. Hell, we should have been on our guard the moment we entered the system: a G2 single, age approximately three billion years, low angular momentum, metals, an Oort cloud and even a Kuiper belt. The fact that we’d been through a hundred similar systems should have made us lax.

But it did. And when we tasted water in all three phase, we lost our grip on reality. We swooped in for a closer look. When we found free oxygen and a form of chlorophyll, we dove closer still.

And found them.

The sculpted hives of vegetation, clustered around lakes and rive deltas, were clearly visible from orbit. Through our scopes we could easily make out the mud and straw huts they dwelled in, and the dirt or clay roads they travelled upon.

They are much like us, in many ways. Forget the fur, and the six digits on each hand/foot (including fully opposable thumbs) on each their six limbs, and the short stubs of tails no doubt left over from their tree-dwelling ancestors. They’re still eggheads with big binocular eyes and face that glow brightly with curiosity and intelligence. It will take time to completely decipher their languages, but is complexity is instantly obvious in the richness of vocabulary and bodily expressions. The emotion range the human spectrum quite closely, from simple fear and anger all the way to humor and reverence (don’t ask me how – you can tell, that’s all). And if all this isn’t enough, then know that at night they sit and gaze at their moon – larger and more spectacular than Earth’s – and the stars and wonder, and argue, or at least seem to argue.

Yes, they are children, but in another ten thousand years or so, they will be where we are now.

Excuse us, for a moment I forgot. But looking into those eyes reminds me again, with stark cruelty: would have been where we now are.

Lord, can you forgive us?

* * *

Where would we be now, if ten thousand years ago, or even a thousand years ago, our gods had descended from the sky, and saved us with their reality? Of course, maybe the had. Maybe that is why the journey had taken ten thousand years. And do many billions of live of lives that might have been spare. We have been too content to sit back and for salvation to come to us.

Where would ma, or pa, or the Reverend Stetson, be now if …

No; you’re evading your own guilt. The present.

The brown eyes gaze softly into mine, the most innocent of trusts. I’m not sure why, but I reach out again, and touch that face with crooked fingertips, as though I could reach right into the mind and pull out the memories if what it has experienced today.

Do not despair, young one.

I pull away, jolted by the lightning of the thought. My breathing is suddenly fast and ragged. “What …?”

It says nothing, but takes my hand and placed the fingers carefully around its temple and forehead. There, that’s better. Soon you will not need physical contact, perhaps in another million years or so of your years, but its is not a great encumbrance for now. It is comforting, in a way.

“How – who – did you say a million years?”

A day in the lifetime of the cosmos. Which, as you have chosen me for the honor, allow me to welcome you into. Your first steps were certainly exciting to watch!

I try to say some intelligible, but my throat only gurgles in incomprehension.

Oh come one, you did really think we would allow you take such terrible mistake, did you? We didn’t’ allow it to happen to you, and we would never permit you to do it to another species. No, these beings will reach adulthood just as you have, by their own glorious efforts.

Adulthood?

Well, let us say, provisional adulthood. Adolescence. You’ve made it. Congratulations. Your folks must be proud of you.

Before I can react to that statement, I am standing God’s carpeting, with the sun on my face the soft breezes in my hair. I am not alone: ma and pa, and Reverend Stetson, are beside me, and many others. I suddenly realize that I am seventeen again.

“This is cruel!” I protest.

Limited perception always is. That too, you will outgrow.

I am on ocher Martian sands, a pair of words cupped in my outstretched hands.

Faith has sustained you this far. But now it is time to move on. Your first responsibility. I am back with reality again, the warmth of fur upon me. Here. Making sure they don’t run around with scissors, or put unclean things in their mouths, and learn how to share their toys. Discreetly, of course. You know how to do that …

Strangely enough, I do. More importantly, I am ready.



United Nations Partition Plan for Palestine

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Partition_Plan_for_Palestine   UN General Assembly Resolu...