Search This Blog

Thursday, November 1, 2018

As Little Children (ANALOG SCIENCE FICTION AND FACT, February 1994 issue)

So long ago. So long ago. And yet, looking into those enormous brown eyes I remember as though it is but yesterday. The wseet ‘bama sun, and the warm June breezes on my face, and the cool grass thick beneth my feet like God’s carpeting. Yes, I remember it all too well; all I need do is close my eyes, and drift a moment or two, and I am there …


Late twentieth-century Earth. A tiny place, but full of troubles. Crime, disease, poverty, hatred, riots, Los Angeles, Saddam Hussein, the Middle East, oil, fire, greenhouse effect, ozone depletion, potential global catastrophe, AIDS, nuclear weapons, overpopulation …

My biological family was poor even by the standards of the time, trashy poor some would have said though we never knew it, never thought that way, were proud of what we had and built and did. Father worked in the ball bearing factory all day, mother did housekeeping and what odd jobs she could find, when she could. There was enough to eat, a roof over our heads, a school and a church. Especially, we thought, a church.

I can still see that church clearly. A vast, sprawling eggshell of a structure, high up on a hill, gazing down on all of us like a portrait, watching us wherever we went. Every Sunday the folks packed us off, and one by one we walked the dusty road up the hill and filed into the great shell where we sat. A sea of noisy black faces on white pews, listening to the Reverend Stetson telling us about God and Jesus and the hereafter and the faith of little children.

Faith was the central element in our lives, the fulcrum about which our lives turned. I know that is difficult to even imagine now, let alone believe, but it is true. Faith was out air and water and bread; it burned in the hearth, and sent smoky tendrils up into the stratosphere. It was our wire into the cosmos. It vibrated in the very cores of our beings. Father came home every evening coated with it, a grime no amount of soap and water would have ever washed off – even if we’d tried, which of course we didn’t. Mother thrashed and upbringing into us with it.

Sitting on his lap, looking up into those moist, old eyes. I was five or six, maybe even younger, small for my age but nanoedge sharp even then. He knew it too, and I knew it from the expression in those eyes and face, the way he saw opportunity and danger at the words that had just issued from my lips – I knew I had asked the forbidden question.

You must find Jesus in your heart,” he answered it; “You must open your heart to Him, and then He will fill you with His love. That is the only way you can know Him; the only way to heaven. There is no other way.”


I’ve cheated you, the accusation screams through my head, like a cry of damnation. But the brown eyes are still upon me, still innocent, trusting, still damp with expression. Mine are filled with tears.

I was the youngest of seven, or eight – or was it even nine? I don’t clearly remember anymore. Also, the brightest. Maybe it was my brothers and sisters beating on me, too. Whatever, I got a full scholarship, got packaged off to the University. Hugs and kisses from everyone, including the Reverent Stetson himself, now a doddering old man. Myself. I was seventeen.

Could I really have been seventeen once? It’s a dream to me now; no, a nightmare in a swirling fog: urban warfare, deindustrialization, MacPherson, Green Revolution, animal rights, tuberculosis and smallpox, desertification, global cooling, mass extinctions, Moscow, South Africa, Kotube …

And yet in the midst of all this now inconceivable carnage, flowers did bloom in the desert. Remember cancer from your history plugins? This was when it was at last licked for good. And a host of other genetic slow terminations. Other important developments to recall: the first permanent space station, return to the Moon, commercialization of fusion power, and the first practical human-computer interfaces. Of course, looking back it seems like hell now – it was hell, by any standards, but a few rungs of the ladder were ascended. More importantly, we ascended them.

My major was engineering, with minors in astronomy and electronics, not a common combination even then, but I’d always had my own ideas. I’d grown up in an isolated backwater of a world, and when I realized there was more I wanted it. Joined the National Space Society, the L-5 Society, you name it I joined it. I was determined for a career on the High Frontier. Mother didn’t understand of course: she thought it was my duty to spend my life improving the lot of those “down here, where all th’ needin’ ‘n’ suff’rin’ is; why, there’s nothin’ ‘n’ no one up there t’help.” Reverend Stetson just shook his head sadly and said he’d pray for me.

Father wasn’t there. The bearing factory had shut down a year ago, replaced by robots in South Korea or Mexico or some place like that, and the government had sent him to a school in another state, to learn computer programming on twenty year old machines that nobody used anymore. I never saw him again. I’d hoped he was at last with his God.

I was on the first International Mars Expedition in 2036, just before the big breakthroughs in age control. We stood on the ocher sands looked into the Martian twilight, and felt a billion years and the entire cosmos seep into our bones. Earth was a tiny, if still tragic and bright, sapphire in the sky, the Moon and even tinier diamond beside it. There are moments in each life that remain fresh with you forever; that was one of mine (as, of course, is the one now). The expedition had cost half a trillion dollars, but any fool could that it had been worth it; at that moment nine billion faces back home were gazing up at hope instead of down at their troubles. It was a moment that set the pace of humanity for centuries to come. I wouldn’t have traded it for all the gods in all the scriptures in history.

I stroke the furry face before me, and curse myself for having thought that thought. I’m sorry.


We could have stayed in orbit. We could have contented ourselves with looking down with our telescopes and probes. We would have learned just as much, and they never would have known.

But we couldn’t do that, no. We had to be God. Of course, we don’t tell ourselves that; we persuade ourselves instead that we are doing them a great favor, by showing them what is possible. That they will take hope from our example, the same hope those nine billion took so long ago. But deep inside we all know it is a fraud. We know they won’t see it that way. And that that is the real reason we came down – to be worshiped. God damn us all to Hell.

I returned from the Mars expedition to learn that the Reverend had finally passed on to his reward, whatever it was. A heart attack in the middle of delivering his Sunday sermon – that’s right, he’d refused a biogenned back-up. He was ninety-two.

Mother had just reached her seventieth herself. I comforted her – tried to comfort her, that is – by talking about the future, about the developments proceeding with exponential fury in the genetics and nanotechnology laboratories. “In a few more years they’ll not only be able to stop aging process in humans but even reverse it. You’ll have eternal life, and eternal youth.”

But of course she was horrified at such a prospect: “All my life life I been gettin’ ready t’meet the Lord, ‘n’ now you want t’take it away from me? What’s the matter with you, boy?”

I tried arguing as usual, until I realized it was hopeless, that this person – my mother or not – had spent her entire life preparing for the day she would face her putative maker, and that to steal that climax of her life was to steal her life, too. That I had no right to such a theft, whatever my intentions.

That night I cried like a baby, cried myself to sleep for the first time in as long as I could remember.

That was the last time I ever went home, at least physically. Talents like mine were needed elsewhere than on a minuscule planet, particularly one so long on problems and short on hope. I spent the next half century expanding and developing the new empire: L-5, Mare Imbrium, Cydonia, the Belt, Ganymede, Triton … I was a planner, a builder, a solver, a trouble-shooter (and sometimes, maker), an explorer and a rogue. And I was successful everywhere, at all of these. Successful and happy. I even became famous. In other words, I completely forgot where I had come from. I forgot everything.

It was glorious and exhilarating and an plain, simple fat lot of fun, but of course it didn’t last forever, couldn’t last forever. For at the edge of every frontier is yet another frontier, and the spirit inexorably yearns for that one too. And yet – the stars! Even the closest was ten thousand time further away than the great distance I had ever traversed. It was a journey I could not comprehend. Even immortality seemed to short a time to cross such gulfs. But cross them I would, of that I had no doubt; I just did not know how – yet.


The moment they came bounding out of their huts toward us we knew we had made a tragic mistake. We’re the answer to their deepest prayers; the realization, at once deniable and irrevocable, flashed through our thoughts. We didn’t even have to look at each other to know that all had picked up the thought simultaneously.

Perhaps if we had been expecting intelligent life … but that had been the furthest thought from our expectations when we’d entered their system. After all, didn’t the research of Barkley and Bleigh prove once and for all that life – even at the simplest level – was so improbable that would not occur that once in a thousand galaxies? And didn’t the Fermi Paradox (if intelligence were common in the universe it would have come to us long ago) confirm our solitude? Where, and how, had we so badly miscalculated? Or was it just our misfortune?

Our misfortune?!

To the Alpha centauri system and back was a little over seventy years that first time. When we got home, we discovered that Earth had finally solved its population problem, hence its resources problem, once and for all. And that by then the space needed for sentient minds in the net was essentially infinite, and people who still wanted families could raise virtual ones to their hearts’ contents.

Many did, as well as live other lives fulfilling to them, lives our ancestors could never have dreamed of, but for we few (we band of brothers and sisters?) they were empty lives, devoid of – of – to tell the brutal truth, we could not have told what it was devoid of. All we knew was that if humanity had solved all its problems, had conquered all the dangers of living in but one solar system, then that system was not the place for us anymore.

We needed faster starships. We needed to press as close to Einstein’s limit as possible, even surpass it if possible. No, not really; with our unlimited life spans, and youths, it shouldn’t have matter how long it took us to fill the universe. But matter it did, terribly and with a relentless compulsion. For we were still human in spirit, if not in body anymore, all too human, with minds sculpted by millions of years of natural selection to think in terms of mere years and decades at most. We were far too impatient in the pursuit of what gave us primitive joy. So we set ourselves to continue pursuing our dream.

And succeeded.

A thousand years later. It still seems like eternity to us, when we think it out loud. Yet it is but an eyeblink: Homo sapiens (to the extent we can still be called that) is but one half of one percent older; the Atlantic Ocean has widened just another part in a hundred thousand; the Sun has completed only one two-hundred thousandth of its orbit about the Milky Way galaxy. We have touched some ten thousand system, yet a hundred times that many still lie within our immediate reach, and ten trillion times that sun lay beyond. It is only arrogance that makes us feel old.


In short, we should have known better. The moment we glimpsed this new tiny sapphire, with its own tinier diamond beside it, we should have stopped, pulled back, and reached into our stores of wisdom, such as they are. Hell, we should have been on guard the moment we entered the system: a single G2 star, age approximately four billion years, low angular momentum, metals, an Oort cloud. The fact that we had been through a hundred similar systems should not have made us lax.

But it did. And when we tasted water in all three phases, along with both oxygen and an ozone layer, we lost our grip on reality. So we swooped in for a closer look. When we found chlorophyll, we dove closer still.

And found them.

The sculpted hives of vegetation, clustered around lakes and river deltas, were clearly visible from orbit. Through our scopes we could easily make out the mud and straw huts, and the dirt roads they traveled on.

They are much like us, in many ways. Forget the fur, and the six fingers (including fully opposable on each of six limbs, and the short stubs of tails no doubt left over from tree dwelling ancestors. They’re still eggheads, with (big!) binocular eyes that glow brightly with intelligence and curiosity. It will take time to completely decipher their language, but its equal to human complexity is instantly obvious in the richness off vocabulary and bodily expressions. Their emotions range the full spectrum, from simple fear and anger all the way to humor and reverence (don’t ask me how – you can just tell, that’s all). And if all this isn’t enough, then know that at night they sit and gaze up at their moon – somewhat larger than ours – and the stars and wonder, and argue.

Yes, they are children in many ways, but in another ten thousands years or so, they will be where we are now.

Excuse us, for a moment I forgot. But looking into those eyes with their bright irises reminds me again, with stark cruelty: would have been where we are now.

Lord, can you forgive us?


Where would we be now, if ten thousand years ago, or even a thousand, our gods had descended from the sky, and touched us with their reality? Of course, maybe they had. Maybe that’s why the journey had taken only ten thousand years. And so many billions of lives that might have been spared. We have been too content to sit back, and for salvation to come to us.

Where would my parents be now if …

No, you’re evading you own guilt. The present.

The brown eyes gze softly into mine, that most innocent of trusts. I’m not sure why, but I reach out again, and touch that face with my crooked fingertips, as though I could reach directly into the mind and remove the memory of what it has experienced today, as though I could make it forget.

Do not despair, young one.

I pull away, shocked my the lightning of the thought. My breathing is suddenly fast, and ragged. “What …?”

It says nothing, but takes my hand and places the fingers carefully against its temple and forehead. There, that’s better. Soon you will not need physical contact, perhaps in another million or so of your years, but it is not a great encumbrance for now. It is even comforting, in its own way.

“How – who – did you say a million years?”

A day in the lifetime of the cosmos. Which, as you have chosen me for the honor, allow me to welcome you into. Your first steps were certainly exciting to watch!

I try to say something intelligible, but my faculties fail me.

Oh come on, you didn’t really think we would allow to make such a terrible mistake, did you? We didn’t allow it to happen to you, and we would never permit you to do it to another species. No, these beings will reach adulthood just as you have, by their own glorious efforts.

Adulthood?

Well, let us say, provisional adulthood. Adolescence. You’ve made it. Congratulations. Your folks must be proud of you.

Before I can react to that statement, I am standing on God’s carpeting, with the Sun on my face and the soft breezes in my hair. I am not alone; mother and father, and Reverend Stetson, are beside me. I am seventeen.

“This is cruel!”

Limited perception always is. That too, you will outgrow.

I am on the ocher Martian sands, a pair of worlds at my fingertips.

Faith has sustained you this far. But now it is time for you to move on. Your first responsibility. I am back with reality again, the warmth of fur upon me. Here. Making sure they don’t run around with scissors, or put things in their mouths, and learn to share their toys. Discreetly, of course. You know how to do that…

Strangely enough, I do. More importantly though, I am ready.

Spouse

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ...